I am currently sitting in the car on my way to my sister's house to spend Thanksgiving with some extended family. Thanksgiving is such a great holiday. There is nothing about it that isn't just plain selflessness, right? You would think so. This is a day we have for giving thanks. For being thankful for what we have, enjoying fellowship with family and some friends. It's a time of rejoicing, fellowship, selflessness, and to top it all off it's tons of fun! Being thankful is fun! It's enjoyable! So now let me ask the question, why do we Americans find it necessary to have Black Friday sales on Thanksgiving Day? Even when I try really hard this doesn't make sense at all. On the day we're supposed to be giving thanks for all the blessings that we do have, we are going to be busy trampling people at Wal-Mart for the cheapest deal on something that we probably don't need and won't want in three years. I can safely say, I will not be shopping on Thanksgivng. I hardly ever shop on Black Friday. (to be honest, shopping is just not something I enjoy.) I like spending time with people, cultivating relationships. Why can't we keep doing that on Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is (in my opinion) the only holiday that hasn't been turned into this big shindig about buying this and buying that and getting everything for yourself or your kids or that 'special someone'. It's just eating food and spending time with family! What could be better? I can't think of much, except playing my violin, but I even do that on Thanksgiving anyway because my family loves it when my siblings and I play. I guess my point is, let's go back to what we should be doing, instead of spending time in a line to get some material thing at a store that will only last a year or two, let's sit back with a cup of coffee and a board game and cultivate a relationship with people who will be in our lives forever.
I know I've been pretty terrible about blogging lately. Whatever happened to a Christmas song every day? Don't ask me! =P I hope, hope, hope, to get that going again. Maybe after Thanksgiving! By the way, I hope everyone has a very blessed Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete~Sadie
I agree with you completely, Julia. Thanksgiving is about being thankful for what we have, not constantly wanting more.
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! : )
~Emma