Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Emma

As promised, I have a special post for you all today! I'm going to talk about one of my favorite 'teapot' movies! (of course, they are all my favorite! =P)  However, I like this one has special significance because I'm actually a lot like Emma. When we watched this version the first time my family all laughed at the last scene when Emma overreacts because it is just like something I would do! ;) (I also try (a little more subtly) to match all my friends up! =D)  


In the book, you really actually hate Emma, because you see how terrible of a person she is, and how wrongly she's thinking. You really just want to yell at her to get her nose out of everyone's business and just worry about her own life! And not even that, I wish she would just realize that she has a wonderful life, and that she would just live it! In other words, in this case, for personal enjoyment, in my opinion, this movie is better than the book. (I only feel that way about the BBC 2009 version, the other ones aren't very good, but that is my own opinion, I know many people don't agree with me!) 


One of my favorite aspects of the movie is Mr. Elton. I think what I like about him is how he is unable to make people who are respectable respect him. "That man is so full of himself it's a wonder he can stay on his horse" He's absolutely ridiculous, and doesn't seem to see it! "He was always a small man... made smaller by his wife!" Always intruding, he makes me disgusted with his arrogance and pride which he (as of yet) hasn't overcome.  But he makes me laugh all the same! 

Mr. Churchill has an amazing haircut, which is probably why he had to go all the way to London to get it! He is a very immature person as is made apparent by his complete lack of propriety when he is at Hartfield. He uses Emma to hide his engagement with Jane and therefore causes some confusion in some circles. He is impulsive. However,  in this version of the movie they make him change and become a better person. I like that! 

Now, my favorite part about the movie is Mr. Knightley. One of the reasons we (the viewers) like him so much is because he says what everyone is thinking! Like when Emma is talking to him about Mr. Churchill and his riding about the country on his horse Mr. Knightley sarcastically replies, "I thought gentlemen only rode in carriages."  He's a gentleman all around.  He knows the right thing to do and he does it, without purposefully drawing attention to it. I get goosebumps every time we watch it and he says "Will you dance dear Emma?" =D Ohhhhh yes!!! I love this movie!!!! 

And I just realized that I haven't even begun to talk about Harriet and her friendship with Emma and how I loved the way they did that in this version! I however fear, that if I write about everything I want to I will have a post that is much too long and that won't work, because I didn't want a long post today! Well, I only half succeeded, as this is a longer post than I meant to write, but it was long in the making so it's worth it, right? I'm going to leave you with "The Last Dance" from the BBC Emma (2009) soundtrack by Samuel Sim!




3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I enjoyed reading your thoughts about this miniseries! It's one of my very favourite period dramas! (I also find it amusing that you call it a "teapot movie!) :P I actually haven't read the entire book myself- I got about a third of the way through it- but I agree with you that the movie is (debatably) better than the book. And plus I just loved Romola Garai as Emma! Actually I thought everyone was perfectly cast, but you know, that's just the way BBC is. : ) I too saw similarities to myself in Emma the first time I watched it, but I'm not nearly so much of a busybody as she is.
    Oh, and isn't Mr. Knightley just perfect?!!! He's one of my favourite Jane Austen heros!
    Ooh, The Last Dance is one of my favourite songs on the soundtrack! Of course, the entire soundtrack is beautiful.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this post!

    God bless,
    ~Emma Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tallying up your exclamations again. :) I finally understand this post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks Bek! I need that! :)
    Aren't you so glad I made you watch it!?!?! :) And then you decided to watch it again!! :) I just finished the book, it's almost word for word... (I should know, since I just watched the movie three times... :o!)

    ReplyDelete